February 19, 2016
INDUSTRY AWARDS (14 AWARDS) 2018
CREATIVE DIRECTOR(S) OF THE YEAR – AWARD #36
This award is presented to the creative director/creative design team who has worked on a campaign or who has created a physical album (CD, EP and/or vinyl) or single (digital), featuring original artwork, released within the current eligibility period. Submitted design packages can include but are not limited to a physical album (CD, EP and/or vinyl) or single (digital), social media content, crowdfunding campaigns, websites, corporate partner activations, posters and merchandise. Voters and jury members should give consideration to all aspects of the given creative design and body of work including but not limited to the strength and cohesiveness of the design concept of the whole package (including the disc), typography, materials used, marketing potential and connectedness to the music and/or recording artist. Potential contenders may submit a design package solely consisting of an album or digital single, OR may include a physical album or digital single to be considered along with other elements from their design campaign.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2017 through to April 30, 2018;
- At least 50% of the design team must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- Only eligible CCMA Members are entitled to submit in this category;
- Contenders in Step Two of the selection process are required to be members of the CCMA, in good standing, in order to move on as one of the final five (5) nominees in the Third (and final) Ballot; within a collaboration, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA;
- Packaging and campaign design released prior to the current eligibility period (March 1, 2017) does not qualify; however, design elements of previously released CD, EP, vinyl and/or single (digital) packaging qualifies when the design elements are incorporated into a new design (e.g. greatest hits packaging);
- Contenders who solely submit an album (CD, EP and/or vinyl) must be listed as the design team, within the album packaging, to be considered contributing members of the design team;
- For those submitting packages, only those listed as the creative directors, on the completed submission form, and verified by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee, will be considered members of the creative design team. Once submitted, the names CANNOT BE CHANGED;
- Final nominees from the previous year are not eligible in the current year for the same product.
The Creative Director(s) of The Year Award follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE – Members of a design team are invited to submit a package, including their artwork, detailing the creative thought process behind the artwork, the connectedness to the music/art, and marketability of the art;
- If there are less than three (3) submissions, the award will not be given out in the current year;
- STEP TWO – A professional panel of industry jurors, whose members are approved by the CCMA, will judge the submissions to determine the final five (5) nominees, which will appear on the Third (and final) Ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee. In the case of a tie, more than five (5) nominees will appear on the Third Ballot;
- STEP THREE (Third Ballot) – From the list of five (5) nominees provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) nominee they deem most deserving. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner during Country Music Week. In the case of a tie, more than one (1) winner will be announced.
- The Creative Director(s) of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Industry Lunch & Awards during Country Music Week;
- A maximum of two (2) awards will be presented to the design team, courtesy of the CCMA.