This award recognizes an original Canadian-produced country music program or special whose original airing on television or radio (including network or cable) was within the eligibility period.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The production company must have an operating office located in Canada;
- A minimum of on (1) person from the nominated production company is required to be a member of the CCMA (industry or corporate level) in good standing;
- The program or special must be a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in duration.
Country Music Program or Special of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE (first ballot) – Each eligible CCMA member may propose ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most mentions in each category will appear on the second ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee;
- STEP TWO (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- STEP THREE (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
- The Country Music Program or Special of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Industry Lunch & Awards during Country Music Week.
- One (1) award is presented to the production company, courtesy of the CCMA.