This award recognizes excellence in design of a specific CD and/or DVD packaging. The CD and/or DVD must have been released during the eligibility period.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015.
- At least 50% of the design team must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry or corporate level) in good standing. Within a collaboration, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA;
- Previously released packaging does not qualify; however, design elements of previously released CD and/or DVD packaging qualifies when the design elements are incorporated into a new design (i.e. Greatest Hits packaging.);
- Only those relevant names listed within the CD and/or DVD packaging will be considered members of the design team.
Album Design of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE (first ballot) – Each eligible CCMA member may propose ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most mentions in each category will appear on the second ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee;
- STEP TWO (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- STEP THREE (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
- The Album Design of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Industry Lunch & Awards during Country Music Week;
- A maximum of two (2) awards will be presented to the design team, courtesy of the CCMA.