This award is presented to the songwriter(s) of an individual country music song released to radio or available for purchase within the current eligibility period. This award is based on an individual song and not on the songwriter(s)’ body of work. Voters should give consideration to all aspects of the given song, if applicable, including but not limited to lyrics, music, success at radio, record sales, success in digital media and impact of the song on consumers and the Canadian country music industry, with emphasis on the creative integrity of the song.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2016 through to April 30, 2017;
- The songwriter(s) must be Canadian citizen(s) or landed immigrant(s). On collaborations, at least one (1) of the songwriters must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
- Second Ballot contenders are required to be members of the CCMA, in good standing, by the end of the Second Ballot (June 28, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. ET) in order to move on to the Third (and final) Ballot. Within a collaboration, at least one (1) of the contributing members must be a member of the CCMA in good standing prior to the end of the Second Ballot;
- A song from a Greatest Hits album is eligible if not previously nominated and meets all other criteria;
- Final nominees from the previous year are not eligible in the current year for the same product.
The Songwriter(s) of the Year Award follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE (First Ballot) – Each eligible CCMA Member may submit one (1) contender. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most votes will appear on the Second Ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA’s Award Verification Committee. In the case of a tie, more than ten (10) contenders will appear on the Second Ballot;
- STEP TWO (Second Ballot) – From the list of ten (10) contenders provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) contender they deem most deserving. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes will appear on the Third (and final) Ballot as nominees. In the case of a tie, more than five (5) nominees will appear on the Third Ballot.
- STEP THREE (Third Ballot) – From the list of five (5) nominees provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) nominee they deem most deserving. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner during Country Music Week. In the case of a tie, more than one (1) winner will be announced.
- The Songwriter(s) of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Gala Dinner & Awards during Country Music Week;
One (1) award is presented to (each of) the songwriter(s), courtesy of the CCMA.