This award is presented to an act (solo, duo or group) in the Canadian country music industry whose music is based on traditional country styles, but through innovations and originality is different from what is considered “mainstream country”. Roots music embraces a multitude of musical styles, including but not limited to Alternative Country, Bluegrass, Celtic, Country-Blues, Folk, Gospel, Hillbilly, Honky Tonk, Rockabilly and Western Swing. Voters should give consideration to all aspects, including but not limited to success at radio, pre-recorded music, live concert ticket sales and vocal performances.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2016 through to April 30, 2017;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group/duo at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- Second Ballot contenders are required to be members of the CCMA, in good standing, by the end of the Second Ballot (June 28, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. ET) in order to move on to the Third (and final) Ballot. Within a group/duo, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA.
The Roots Artist or Group of the Year Award follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE (First Ballot) – Each eligible CCMA Member may submit one (1) contender. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most votes will appear on the Second Ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA’s Award Verification Committee. In the case of a tie, more than ten (10) contenders will appear on the Second Ballot;
- STEP TWO (Second Ballot) – From the list of ten (10) contenders provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) contender they deem most deserving. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes will appear on the Third (and final) Ballot as nominees. In the case of a tie, more than five (5) nominees will appear on the Third Ballot;
- STEP THREE (Third Ballot) – From the list of five (5) nominees provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) nominee they deem most deserving. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner during Country Music Week. In the case of a tie, more than one (1) winner will be announced.
- The Roots Artist or Group of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Gala Dinner & Awards during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group/duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.