This award is presented to the act (solo, duo or group) for a Canadian country album, which was released for mass public consumption in its entirety, within the current eligibility period. An album is defined as a collection of several pieces of music made available as a single item. The album can be a special project or commemorative package. Voters and jury members should give consideration to all aspects, including but not limited to, market impact (e.g. sales, spins, YouTube views), artistic performance, production, design, art layout and liner notes. This award is for an album as a whole unit.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2016 through to April 30, 2017;
- An album is considered released on the first available date that the material can be possessed, by mass consumers, via a purchase in its entirety and/or streamed legally in its entirety by a royalty-generating service. The primary source used to determine this information is via iTunes;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group/duo, at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- Contenders in the Second Step of the selection process are required to be members of the CCMA, in good standing, in order to move on as one of the final five (5) nominees in the Third (and final) Ballot;
- The album must contain a minimum of six (6) tracks;
- 50% of the tracks must have been released during the current eligibility period, having never appeared on a previous album;
- Final nominees from the previous year are not eligible in the current year for the same product.
The Album of the Year Award follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE (First Ballot) – Each eligible CCMA Member may submit one (1) contender. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most votes will proceed to STEP TWO, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA’s Award Verification Committee. In the case of a tie, more than ten (10) contenders will proceed to STEP TWO;
- STEP TWO – A professional panel of jurors, whose members are approved by the CCMA, will judge the submissions to determine the final five (5) nominees, which will appear on the Third (and final) Ballot;
- STEP THREE (Third Ballot) – From the list of five (5) nominees provided, each eligible CCMA Member may vote for the one (1) nominee they deem most deserving. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner during Country Music Week. In the case of a tie, more than one (1) winner will be announced.
- The Album of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group/duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.