This award is presented to the artist (solo, duo or group) who had significant success during the eligibility period and who has not been previously nominated in a number of CCMA Artist Award Categories (see below).
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group or duo at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing. Within a group or duo, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA; This category is open only to those artists who have never before won the Rising Star Award, and who have never before been nominated for the Fans' Choice Award, Single of the Year, Group or Duo of the Year, Female Artist of the Year, Male Artist of the Year, Album of the Year, Video of the Year, or Roots Artist or Group of the Year;
- Nominees in this category are eligible in other categories in the current year;
- An individual performing artist who has been previously nominated within a group or duo and now performs as a solo artist, or has changed his/her name does not qualify;
- A group or duo who has a group member previously nominated as an individual performing artist does not qualify;
- No act (solo, duo or group) shall be nominated for the Rising Star Award more than twice.
Rising Star follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE - The top ten (10) contenders, as determined by Nielsen Entertainment, to be the top spinning artists at radio, who also meet the above criteria will be placed directly on the second ballot, a membership vote;
STEP TWO (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
STEP THREE (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
The Rising Star Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during
Country Music Week;
One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group or duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.