A Group or Duo is defined as an act, composed of two (2) or more people, all of whom normally perform together. The act may include an individual who has, or currently does perform, as a solo artist under a name different than that of the group or duo. This award is based on the performance of the group or duo as a unit, either on record or in person within the eligibility period.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- At least 50% of the group or duo must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- At least 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing;
- Any group or duo that capitalizes in whole or in part by incorporating the name of a solo artist in the name of the group or duo is not permitted to stand for nomination in this category.
Group or Duo of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- STEP ONE – The ten (10) contenders for the Group or Duo of the Year Award will be determined by a formula of 60% sales and 40% spins within the eligibility period and verified by the CCMA’s Awards & Balloting Committee. These results will be compiled by Nielsen Entertainment;
- STEP TWO (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contender receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- STEP THREE (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
- The Group or Duo of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to each core member of the group/duo, courtesy of the CCMA.