The video should be judged on all audio and video elements, artistic performance, video concept and production.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group or duo, at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing. Within a group or duo, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA;
- This award is for an original audio visual program not more than ten (10) minutes in length, featuring the performance of not more than one song or medley.
Video of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- (first ballot) – Each eligible CCMA member may propose ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most mentions in each category will appear on the second ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee;
- - The top ten (10) contenders collected from the first ballot, will be juried by a panel of unbiased jurors. This jury will bring the ten (10) contenders to the final five (5) nominees. The five (5) nominees decided on by the voting panel will proceed to the third and final ballot for a membership vote;
- (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner.
- The Video of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group or duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.