This award is based on an individual song released to radio during the eligibility period and not on the songwriter(s)’ body of work. A songwriter(s) may receive multiple nominations determined by the release of their songs within the eligibility period. Consideration should be given to lyrics, music, and public acceptance of the song.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The songwriter(s) must be Canadian citizen(s) or landed immigrant(s). On collaborations, at least one of the songwriters must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing. Within a collaboration, at least one of the contributing members must be a member of the CCMA.
- A song from a Greatest Hits album is eligible if not previously nominated;
Songwriter(s) of the Year follows a three (3) step selection process:
- (first ballot) – Each eligible CCMA member may propose ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most mentions in each category will appear on the second ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee;
- (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- (third ballot) – From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA members may vote for ONE AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced the winner.
- The Songwriter(s) of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Gala Dinner & Awards during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to (each of) the songwriter(s), courtesy of the CCMA.