This award acknowledges one single amongst the top spinning singles within the eligibility period.
- For the purpose of the Single of the Year Award, the eligibility period is extended to January 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group or duo, at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry or corporate level) in good standing. Within a group or duo, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA;
- Only eligible singles which were among the top 30 spinning singles at radio within this eligibility period will qualify. The list of qualifying singles will be provided to the CCMA directly from Nielsen Entertainment;
Single of the Year follows a four (4) step selection process:
- - The top 30 spinning singles, as provided by Nielsen Entertainment, will appear on the first ballot;
- (first ballot) – Each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE of the contenders provided. The ten (10) contenders receiving the most mentions in each category will appear on the second ballot, providing they meet the eligibility requirements, as determined by the CCMA Awards Verification Committee;
- (second ballot) – From the list of contenders supplied, each eligible CCMA member may select ONE, AND ONLY ONE contender in each category. The five (5) contenders receiving the most votes in each category will appear on the third ballot as nominees;
- (third ballot) - From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner
- The Single of the Year Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group or duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.