This award is given to the artist (solo, duo or group) displaying the greatest achievements in all aspects of the entertainment field within the eligibility period. The voters should give consideration not only to the recorded performance, but also to live performance, videos, social media presence, staging, public acceptance, attitude, leadership and overall contributions to the country music image.
- The current eligibility period is March 1, 2014 through to April 30, 2015;
- The act must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant. Within a group or duo, at least 50% of the members must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants;
- All final nominees are required to be members of the CCMA (industry level) in good standing. Within a group or duo, 50% of the contributing members must be members of the CCMA.
Fans’ Choice follows a four (4) step selection process:
- STEP ONE - The ten (10) contenders for the Fans’ Choice Award will be determined by a formula of 60% sales and 40% spins within the eligibility period and verified by the CCMA®’s Awards & Balloting Committee. These results will be compiled by Nielsen Entertainment;
- STEP TWO - The ten (10) contenders will then be voted on by members of the CCMA Fan Club. The online CCMA Fan Club is free to join for fans and all those signed up before the deadline of April 30 each year will be eligible to vote in this step of the process. This Fan Club vote will bring the ten (10) contenders to the final five (5) nominees;
- STEP THREE (third ballot) - The five (5) artists receiving the most votes from the CCMA Fan Club vote will appear on the third and final ballot for CCMA Membership voting as nominees. From the list of nominees supplied, each eligible CCMA member may vote for ONE, AND ONLY ONE nominee in each category. The nominee receiving the most votes will be announced as the winner. The public will also have the opportunity to vote for their favourite entertainer through an online ballot coordinated with the CCMA Awards’ third and final ballot. The public vote tally and membership vote tally will be combined to determine the winner of the Fans' Choice Award.
- The Fans’ Choice Award is presented at the annual CCMA Awards Show during Country Music Week;
- One (1) award is presented to the act, courtesy of the CCMA. In the case of a group or duo, one (1) award will be presented to each core member of the group/duo.